Tony Robbins proposed there are six human needs. He defined them as follows:
1. Certainty: assurance you can avoid pain and gain pleasure
2. Uncertainty/Variety: the need for the unknown, change, new stimuli
3. Significance: feeling unique, important, special or needed
4. Connection/Love: a strong feeling of closeness or union with someone or something
5. Growth: an expansion of capacity, capability or understanding
6. Contribution: a sense of service and focus on helping, giving to and supporting others
If we overlap the six human needs with the social sector, there are interesting alignments.
Certainly= endowment, balance budget, founder still engaged, sustainability, cautious resource allocation.
Uncertainty/Variety= Executive Director transition, new program launch, board member rotation, deficit budget, mergers, new grant application
Significance= awards, accrediation, recognition from political and business leaders, bequests, waiting list for board service, sold out programs
Connection= strategic partnership, social media followers, gala fundraiser, requests to partner with other organizations, online groups
Growth= capital campaign, hire more staff, expand geographic service area, expand board, new organizational lifecycle
Contribution= annual report, services and programs, community engagement, grants, financial aid, free programs
What would you add to the list?